IDLO is comprised of international legal and development professionals. We combine dedication with expertise in a variety of legal systems to promote access to justice and improve the lives of the most vulnerable.
International Advisory Council
IDLO is proud to have the following esteemed individuals comprise our International Advisory Council:
- Abdel-Latif Al-Hamad: Chairman and CEO, Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development
- Abdou Diouf: Former President of the Republic of Senegal
- William H. Gates Sr.: Co-Chair, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Thomas Pickering: Former United States Ambassador and Under Secretary of State
- Mary Robinson: Former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Albie Sachs: Former Justice, Constitutional Court of South Africa
- Muhammad Yunus: Nobel Peace Laureate, Chairman of Yunus Centre and Founder of Grameen Bank
- Willy Mutunga: Former Chief Justice of Kenya
Irene Khan is Director-General of the International Development Law Organization (IDLO). The first woman to hold this office, she was elected by Member Parties on November 17, 2011 and took up her position formally on January 1, 2012.
An international thought leader on human rights, gender and social justice issues, Irene Khan was Secretary General of Amnesty International from 2001 - 2009. Prior to that, she worked for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees for 21 years at headquarters and in various field operations. She was Visiting Professor at the State University of New York Law School (Buffalo) in 2011.
Ms. Khan sits on the boards of several international human rights and development organizations. She is the recipient of numerous honorary degrees and prestigious awards, including the City of Sydney Peace Prize in 2006 for her work to end violence against women and girls. Her book, The Unheard Truth: Poverty and Human Rights, has been translated into seven languages.
Born in Bangladesh, Irene Khan studied law at the University of Manchester and Harvard Law School.
- Cliff Johnson: General Counsel
- Erwin van der Borght: Director of Programs
- Faustina Pereira: Director of Global Initiatives and IDLO Representative to the Netherlands
- Ilaria Bottigliero: Director of Research and Learning
- Judit Arenas: Director of External Relations and Deputy Permanent Observer to the United Nations
- Patrizio Civili: Permanent Observer to the United Nations
- Miguel Figuerola: Director of Human Resources and Office Support Services
- Haroun Atallah: Director of Finance and Support Services