MEDIA ADVISORY | ROME, May 23, 2019 – High-level government officials, heads of international organizations, leading academics, civil society representatives and development experts from around the world will convene in Rome, Italy from May 27-29, 2019 to discuss global progress towards achieving Sustainable Development Goal 16 of the 2030 Agenda.
Co-organized by the International Development Law Organization (IDLO) and the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) and hosted by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, the Conference will take stock of SDG 16 and its aspirations of promoting peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, providing access to justice for all, and building effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
Participants will share good practices, identify main challenges, and ways to forge a path forward through policies, partnerships and collective action, as well as by leveraging the interlinkages between SDG 16 and the other Goals in the Agenda.
Outcomes of the Conference will contribute to the official review of SDG 16 at the UN High-Level Political Forum taking place in New York in July 2019.
- Mr. Liu Zhenmin, Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations
- Ms. Irene Khan, Director-General, IDLO
- H.E. Emanuela Del Re, Vice Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Italy
- H.E. Omar Hilale, Vice-President of ECOSOC and Permanent Representative of Morocco to the United Nations
- Hon. Priscilla Schwartz, Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Sierra Leone
- Mr. Mohammad Farid Hamidi, Attorney-General, Afghanistan
- Mr. Augustine Mahiga, Minister of Constitutional and Legal Affairs, United Republic of Tanzania
- Ms. Karla Cueva, Secretary of the Human Rights Department, Office of the President, Honduras
- Ms. Maud de Boer-Buquicchio, Special Rapporteur on the sale and sexual exploitation of children
- Mr. David Maraga, Chief Justice, Kenya
- Mr. Albie Sachs, former Justice, Constitutional Court, South Africa
- Mr. Enrico Giovannini, Italian Alliance for Sustainable Development
- Ms. Sima Samar, Head, Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission
- Ms. Hilary Gbedemah, Chair of CEDAW Committee
- Mr. Hassan Haji, Minister of Justice, Somalia
- Ms. Olfa Chérif Soukri, Member of Parliament, Tunisia
- Ms. Lenny N. Rosalin, Deputy Minister for Child Development, Ministry of Women Empowerment and Gender Equality, Indonesia
- Mr. Yoshimitsu Yamauchi, Assistant Vice-Minister of Justice, Japan
Journalists and photographers interested in following the event are requested to apply for accreditation. Visit the online portal to register here: https://portaleaccreditamento.esteri.it. Or send an e-mail to the Press Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation at email@example.com (tel: +39 06 3691 3432 / 8573).
For all other press and communication inquiries please contact Raul Cordenillo, Director of Strategic Communications at rcordenillo(a)idlo.int (tel: +39 349 8255524).
Further information about the Global Conference on SDG 16 can be found here: https://www.idlo.int/SDG16Conference2019