HIGH LEVEL SIDE EVENT Closing the Gender Gap: Achieving Gender Parity in UN Human Rights Bodies
This event constitutes a unique opportunity to bring together a diverse group of experts and stakeholders to discuss and elaborate on sustainable solutions to issues affecting women’s right to equality. A critical component of women’s empowerment and equality is the representation of women in international adjudicatory and monitoring bodies, such as international tribunals, international and regional human rights commissions, United Nations Treaty Bodies, United Nations Special Procedures, United Nations Groups of Experts and Commissions of Inquiry. Such bodies make important and wide-reaching decisions for society and individuals, yet women are woefully underrepresented in the vast majority of them.
11:30 - 12:45 | Tuesday, 13 March, 2018 | UN Conference Room D, UN Secretariat, New York, USA
- Center for Justice and International Law (CEJIL)
- International Development Law Organization (IDLO)
- International Disability Alliance (IDA)
- International Gender Champions Initiative
- Sight Savers
- Permanent Mission of Uruguay to the UN
- Diplomatic Courier
- Permanent Mission of Liechtenstein to the UN
- Permanent Mission of Gambia to the UN
- Permanent Mission of Sweden to the UN
The event will feature a presentation of the GQUAL Campaign and the Campaign’s Action Plan. Follwing will be a conversation with panelists on the concrete measures that need to be implemented to achieve gender parity in the UN Treaty Bodies and Special Procedures. Participants will discuss different measures and approaches that Member States, UN agencies, and civil society could adopt to do so.
A Questions and Answers session will follow to allow for broader stakeholder engagement.
At the conclusion of the event, participants in the side event will be invited to join the GQUAL Campaign by signing the Action Plan. Should official government signatures be confirmed, protocol will be followed to reflect the importance of these pledges.
- Viviana Krsticevic, Member of the GQUAL Campaign Secretariat, Moderator and introduction
- Irene Khan, Director-General, International Development Law Organization (IDLO)
- Ana Pelaez Narvaez, Former Member of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Mamadou Tangara, Permanent Representative of Gambia to the United Nations and Chair of the African Union (March 2018)
- Agnes S. Callamard, Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
- Melissa Upreti, Member of the UN Human Rights Council's Working Group on the issue of discrimination against women in law and in practice
- Judit Arenas, Director, External Relations, International Development Law Organization (IDLO)
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
This event will be streamed live via Facebook Live. More information to come.
Social media information: