Kabul – 31 January, 2009
IDLO TRAINS REPRESENTATIVES OF BOTH HOUSES ON
As a follow up of the recent Cairo Study Tour for a small numbers of representatives of both Houses of National Parliament and Legislative Department of Ministry of Justice, IDLO launched a five-day seminar for 90 representatives from the above-mentioned institutions. The objective of this comprehensive five-day “Legislation drafting” Seminar is to increase the participants’ knowledge of Legislation drafting techniques and methods and to create conditions for their active participation in on job training.
The Seminar, which will be followed by a sixth day of ‘On Job Training’ in the participants’ institutions, is taking place in the Parliamentarian Institute and participants are trained by the Egyptian expert, Dr. Mahmud Sabra.
Main objectives of this Training are:
- To strengthen the capacity of the Legislative Department of the Ministry of Justice and Parliament to handle legislative drafting;
- To enable trainees to become familiar with drafting techniques and practices;
- Help trainees effectively assess and scrutinize the content of bills;
- Help trainees understand the bill creation process, the structure of bills and basic techniques of legislative drafting;
- Empower trainees with legislative drafting skills so that they can better appreciate their role as legislators;
- Support the legislative process by the more effective drafting of legislation ;
- Understand why legislation is structured in the way it is;
- Quickly read and understand the effect of legislation;
- Be more aware of the constitutionality of proposed legislation
M. James Baker, Program Manager
IDLO in Kabul, Afghanistan